Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I've had a history of heart palpitations, and I also have SVTs,

Customer Question

I've had a history of heart palpitations, and I also have SVTs, but lately I get a weak feeling and I sort of tense up a bit and I have heart palpitations that come on one after the other. It's not SVTs, cause I know the feeling of that. I can't tell if maybe I'm having a panic attack or what is going on. Do you know what this might be, and if it's dangerous?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloThe most common cause of feeling palpitations is PVCs ( = Premature Ventricular Contractions...) These are backwards beat of the heart ( kind of like a heart "hiccup" if you will..) SVT = supra-ventricular tachycardia (this is a rapid heart arrhythmia and may cause the heart to race at rate of 150 or higher for varying lengths of time...SVT would be a bit more serious and in need of treatment than PVCs If you had a heart rhythm disturbance such as frequent PVCs then this may benefit from you taking an over the counter supplement of magnesium oxide 400mg/day If you are prone to SVT then a cardiaologist should oversee your treatment > a beta blocker may be helpful to keep the heart from racing so fast...I think that you should have follow up to check a 24 hour Holter monitor to watch your heart rhythm for one step...An echocardiogram ( ultrasound of the heart is non-invasive and would not hurt ) to look at the heart internal structure as mitral valve prolapse may make you FEEL more in the way of palpitations...The factor of possible PANIC ATTACKS also should be addressed ( primary care doctor or psychiatrist) IF you have PANIC ATTACKS then you may FEEL as though your heart is racing out of control when it is not as much physical as psychological in that case.. different treatment would be indicated... So the Holter Monitor with diary of symptoms and TIME are helpful to sort this out... I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD