Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I am having a lot of flatulence with back pain as well as pain

Customer Question

I am having a lot of flatulence with back pain as well as pain in the buttock area. I also passed a stool with a lot of pearl like looking mucus on it last night.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I was also diagnosed/treated with gastritis in 2009 as well as IBS in 2012
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Yes I was on Bentyl for the IBS but not recently
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The question I have is based on my symptoms, is there a possibility that this could be colon cancer?
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.
GreetingsThis is not a normal finding and it it can not be explained solely on the basis of IBS. Inflammation, infection and tumors including cancer need to be excluded. You need to be checked by a gastroenterologist. You will need stool analysis and colonoscopy in addition to the physical exam and basic blood testsI do not see your age or gender ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am a female and I just turned 50 years old in January
Then you will need your first colonoscopy, in addition to the above. See a gastroenterologist.
If this satisfies your question, please complete the stars rating above. This is how we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions on this issue after the rating. Best wishes
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloThere are a number of possibilities here,given your age and gender.I would not wait to see a GI doctor,as this can take weeks.The back pain with pain in the buttocks indicates possible disc disease.You have not stated that this is abdominal pain radiating to the back, so it is unlikely that this relates to your colon.Flatulance can be from any number of ailments and does not indicate cancer. The colonoscopy is due for screening at age 50, if there is a change in bowel habits.I would suggest that exam be done first, and stool testing.This should included a pelvic exam, and perhaps your doctor will do a scan before the colonoscopy, as ovarian problems need to be ruled out at well.IBS can account for your flatulence, so I see no specific indicators of colon cancer here.I am a double board certified US doctor.You can find me in medical by request, anytime. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
The primary complaints are clearly GI. We can not speculate here whether your pain originates from back, spine, etc. That would be the job of your physician when she/he evaluates you. To recommend 3 simultaneous evaluations of thee different systems is not practical and unnecessary at this pointColonoscopy is indicated once you hit the age of 50 to screen for colon cancer, whether you have a change of your bowel habits or not.Where I am at, you can see a gastroenterologist in less than a week, often within 1-2 daysAs I indicated above, IBS is a possibility, but can not explain every thing.