Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 94 year old dad is suffering from a cold. Congestion,

Customer Question

my 94 year old dad is suffering from a cold. Congestion, cough, etc but no fever. He is going to bathroom a lot but ofter producing no urine. when do i know to go to hospital. he is also hallucinating a lot
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.He must be seen in the emergency.At his age there may be no fever even when there is a severe infection.Going to the bathroom frequently and not passing urine may mean that he is having urinary retention due to enlarged prostate or a urine infection.A chest infection or pneumonia may also cause his symptoms.The bot***** *****ne is that he must be taken to the emergency ASAP to be evaluated further.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is currently being treated for uti with levaquin 500mg.. we are waiting for results from urine sample before doc can proceed. he has no other aliments and takes very little medication.
he also has advised me several times he will not be going back in a hospital, ever.
the onset of the cold is recent
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.The thing that is concerning is hallucinations which is something that may indicate that the infection is not being adequately controlled by whatever treatment, in his case levaquin, being given.He may require a change in the the antibiotic and a repeat of the labs.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards