Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

My daughter is 19 years old and away at college. She had a

Customer Question

My daughter is 19 years old and away at college. She had a headache and throat pain and went to an urgent care. They did NOT do a strep test and diagnosed her with Acute Tonsillitis and gave her a prescription for Penicillin V Potassium 500mg tablet.
Since then she has complained that her neck hurts and her head still hurts. The pain is not severe and the neck pain is when she tilts her head to the side, not when she brings her chin to her chest. She has no other symptoms and is able to eat ok. In addition She took some Advil and said it "made her hot". Is this just the Advil breaking the fever?
It's 1am here and she texted she was going to try and sleep. Is there anything else we should be doing or just let her sleep and see how she is in the morning? Note that she did have the meningitis vaccine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Acute tonsillitis can cause all the symptoms that you have mentioned.I would recommend that she should continue with the course of antibiotic.I think that the advil was just breaking the fever which is why it caused her to feel kinda hot.I would not worry.I would, however keep an eye on her.If she has vomiting in addition to fever and headache then she should be seen again.The good thing is that she is eating okay and has not vomiting.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is sweating a sign the fever is breaking? She is not only hot but now sweating and has no thermometer to check fever
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Yes sweating is a sign of fever breaking.It usually happens when one takes an anti-inflammatory like advil or motrin or aleve.