Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am 35 years old JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you

Customer Question

i am 35 years old
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: my bilirubin total is 1.7
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: direct is 0.4
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Was this lab test done for any particular reason?Or was this found on screening blood tests?Were the remaining tests of liver function normal?Was a blood count done and normal?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. The interpretation of the bilirubin will depend upon the clinical situation and the remaining labs, but since I have not heard back, I will comment on the most common reason for a mild elevation of bilirubin. There is a common genetic condition called Gilbert's syndrome. This is very common, affecting about 5% of people, although higher in some countries. With this condition, the metabolism of bilirubin is slightly slower than normal, so that the bilirubin can be slightly elevated. The bilirubin may be elevated all the time or only at times of stress. This is not a problem and is really considered by most doctors to be a normal variant, rather than a disease process. If there is no illness suggesting liver disease, the remaining liver tests are normal, and the blood counts are normal, then this is most likely to be Gilbert's syndrome, and if so, no further evaluation or concern is necessary. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.