Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am scheduled heart surgery on Thur..Due to a Blockage

Customer Question

I am scheduled for open heart surgery on Thur..Due to a Blockage on right & leaky value on
left....I have never experienced any heart pain or shortness of breath nor am I never fatigue...My surgery is at North Shore L.I Jewish Hospital...Can I avoid open heart surgery
by having something else done without opening the chest.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.It would depend upon the specific blockage and severity of leakage.Do you have the final report from the heart catheterization?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back. As I said above, it would depend upon the specific blockage and the severity of the leakage. A single blockage may be able to be treated with medicines or by dilation, called angioplasty, but in certain circumstances, these other interventions are not able to be done. Similarly, there can be leakage of two different valves on the left. If the leakage is mild, it may not require surgery, but if the leakage is more severe, surgery is the most effective treatment. It may be that the primary reason that surgery is necessary is because of the leakage, but that the blockage will be addressed at the same time. If you can provide the final report from the heart catheterization, then I can comment further upon your situation. If you do not have the final report, then another option would be to seek a second opinion from another Cardiologist, and the Cardiologist can access the reports. It would usually be difficult to get an appointment before the surgery on Thursday, but this would be the usual mechanism by which patients are able to get a second opinion on whether surgery is necessary. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.