Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My name is ***** *****'m 67yrs young. i have a large lump on

Customer Question

hi, my name is ***** *****'m 67yrs young. i have a large lump on my wrist that just seemed to appear. it's been there for about a month or, so. it now is starting to give me pain. can u might beable to tell me what this might be and should i be concern??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The most common cause of a lump on the wrist is an inflammatory nodule. Even though the inflammation is in the wrist, it can cause the tissue lining to joint to swell outwards to form the lump. Although there are other possible causes, it is so much more likely that it is an inflammatory nodule that it is reasonable to initially manage it as an inflammatory nodule to see if it resolves. This can be done by taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory nodule, such as naproxen, and by applying moist heat to the wrist. If the lump improves with these interventions, then that would support that it is an inflammatory nodule. If it does improve, there is no reason for concern, although it is reasonable to use the above interventions whenever there is any discomfort from the lump. If it does not improve, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i did some research on this lump and i read it could be ganglion cyst?? r u famillar with this problem??
A ganglion cyst is a specific type of inflammatory nodule in which there is not only swelling of the tissue that lines the joint but also filling with fluid from inside the joint. It would be managed the same as I noted above.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/