Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I just received a test that showed I have a FEW Lg Platelets.

Customer Question

I just received a test that showed I have a FEW Lg Platelets. I am trying to determine if this is serious.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I already have low RBC, HGB, HCT. and high MCHRDW-CV so I am wondering what these new appearances mean on my test.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had an accident last June that broke Most of my ribs on the right side, one of which punctured my right lung.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. Why was this test done at this time? Can you upload the results?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
There are various possible explanations for having a few large platelets show up on your blood test. In most cases, it is either normal for the individual or a temporary response to something affecting the production of the platelets in the bone marrow (where red blood cells and white blood cells are also produced).
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 7 months ago.
In other words, there is significant variability in the size of platelets (as well as platelet count) among healthy individuals. And the size and number of those platelets can vary from blood test to blood test even with the same individual. So the significance needs to be interpreted within the context of the person's overall health, risk factors, reason for the test, and other test results. Sometimes, in the presence of an anemia, all elements of the bone marrow increase in production (in order to correct the deficiency of red cells) and one gets an increase in white cells and platelets as well. In addition, these new (young) cells are typically larger than their older and more mature counterparts. So when the cell counters and software analyze the cell populations they often come up with a larger average cell size.