Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What would be the reason like, or jelly like substance

Customer Question

what would be the reason for mucous like, or jelly like substance in my stools? Also bloating and discomfort after eating?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.
Hello!Mucus being passed in stool is a sign of inflammation of the rectum orcolon wall... This can be result of infection ( colitis ) or an inflammatory condition (Crohn's or ulcerative colitis ) and other conditions ...I would advise that you consult your doctor and may be referred to a gastroenterologist especially the longer term your symptoms may be...Stool studies for cultures/ leukocytes / ova and parasite test / C.diff toxin may be helpful...Testing for occult blood of stool should be done..You may benefit to take a probiotic..A colonoscopy might be recommended in your case I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD