Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have been having pain in my chest, especially the left side the past two weeks

Customer Question

I have been having pain in my chest, especially the left side for about the past two weeks. It started with several days of sharp pain and tightness in my chest and shoulders, but subsided and is now mostly on the left side of my chest just to the outside of my nipple. I am a very active male in otherwise good health. I did nothing immediately prior to the onset but several days before I had done about 12-14 hours of strenuous yard work.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. David12-14 hours of strenuous yard work could have pulled muscles between your ribs called intracostal muscles which can cause sharp pains and chest and shoulder tightnessyou could have pulled or strained your latissimus dorsi muscle which is just to the outside of your nipple.if you are not use to physical activity and don't exercise regularly, you need to stretch before and after strenuous can try ice packs and heating pads alternating on that areaand try to stretch that latissimus dorsi muscle to help decrease can be painful to stretch it now, but that soreness is most likely lactic acid in the muscles from strenuous activity coming out of the will get better with timelet me know if you have questions.