Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have been having pain in my upper right part of stomach

Customer Question

I have been having pain in my upper right part of stomach that radiates to back area. I had a fever since Saturday the highest that was at 101 now it is down to 98.6 my fever. I had an Ultrasound today, of upper abdomen region where I have pain and the tech doing it noticed I had most pain during the Ultrasound around where my gallbladder is, but I told her I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and she knew that already. So my question is since I don't have a gallbladder, and had pain around gallbladder area today during Ultrasound what do you think could be the cause from my pain if I don't have a gallbladder anymore, do you think it is anything serious that would require any type of surgery.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou could be having pancreatitis inflammation of the head of the pancreas which is close to where the gall bladder is.pancreatitis can cause pain in the upper right abdomen and cause radiation of the pain towards the backyou should get blood test to check for amylase and lipase levels which would be elevated for pancreatitis.hepatitis inflammation of the liver is possible, but less likelygastritis inflammation of the distal part of the stomach is possibleduodenal ulcers or ulcers in the duodenum which is the first part of the small bowel after the stomach is also in that area as well and could be causing pain.talk to your doctor about these possibilities.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are the results of blood tests if you need to know my age and gender for them I am a 41 year old female. The amylase result came back at 36 and Lipase came back at 21. So what do those numbers or results indicate since I have pain during Ultrasound on Friday around area of Gallbladder and I don't have my gallbladder I had it removed. What should I ask my doctor next.
you should ask if stomach acid reducers have decrease the pain.you might benefit from an upper endoscopy scope procedure and testing for H Pylori in your stomach to check for stomach problems.about 5-40% of patients after gall bladder removal can have post cholecystectomy syndrome of having pain where their gall bladder was as wellhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcholecystectomy_syndromelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloI am a double board certified US doctor and I have a different answer for you.Pancreatitis, by the way, typically would not cause right sided pain.It would not typically radiate to the back from the right side.It would have been seen on ultrasound.You have a fever and gallstone type pain.There can be stones in the ducts, even if you do not have a gallbladder.This can become acute and dangerous.You need an MRCP, which is a test that can see if this is the case, a type of MRI.I would have this done right away.Please click a positive on this answer page if you appreciated my answer and I will get paid, we are paid per rating.Find me, Dr. thomas, any day of the week by request for accurate, safe and up to date answers.