Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Sometimes, but not all the time, when I eat, it feels like

Customer Question

Sometimes, but not all the time, when I eat, it feels like the food is not passing down and I need to burp, but the burp takes a while to come. When it does come, I feel relief.
This does not happen with all foods, and some foods, like steak, I have no problem with.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Most likely this is not anything serious or anything to worry about, however, I would still like that you should have further tests:Barium swallow: I would recommend that you should have this test which is a test where you swallow a liquid called barium and your esophagus is seen by the help of x-rays to rule out any blockages in your esophagus.Endoscopy: this is the gold-standard test whereby the esophagus and the stomach is seen with a scope inserted via your mouth. If there is something suspicious in the barium swallow test, your doctor can proceed with this test. Alternatively, some doctors prefer doing this test as a first line.The most common cause of slight blockage in the esophagus is due to acid reflux which causes narrowing of the lower part of the esophagus (stricture).If that is the case then treatment with acid lowering medications like prilosec would be initiated and if the symptoms persist or if there is a stricture then balloon dilatation of the stricture by your doctor may be considered among other procedures.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards