Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Medical test results - what does these scores mean?

Customer Question

medical test results - what does these scores mean? microalbumin, ur, qn, detection limit - 367.5
creatinine, urine - 560.2
microalbumin/creatinine - 65.6
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The values for microalbumin and creatinine are not remarkable, by themselves. Since the volume of urine varies significantly, depending upon the intake of water/fluids and conditions that may cause fluid loss, the concentration of any substance in the urine will also vary significantly. Most labs will not even report a normal range for each individual substance in the urine. However, the total amount of creatinine in the urine over the course of an hour or a day is more consistent, so the ratio between microalbumin and creatinine is meaningful. If there is a greater volume of urine, it will affect both substances equally, and the ration will remain unchanged. The normal range for microalbumin to creatinine should be <30. So, a ratio of 65.6 would be considered a mild elevation, indicating an increase in the amount of protein in the urine. It is worth noting that there are certain benign situations that can cause transient increase in the protein in the urine, so doctors will typically want to repeat the test to see if it is a consistent finding. If it is still elevated when repeated, then it is worrisome for kidney disease that can cause a chronic loss of protein. For example, this test is most often done as monitoring of kidney function in diabetic patients, and an increase suggests that the diabetes is affecting kidney function. The usual next step would be other tests of kidney function. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at