Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I used fentanyl 10 years it helped alot my quality

Customer Question

i used fentanyl for over 10 years it helped alot my quality of life was great for a 68 year old. my pain dr said we had to change . in 3 years i have tryed alot. my quality of life is at a 2. I am in chico calif. is there a doctor that can help here
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloDoctors can not advertise that they would give you fentanyl.You have to work with a pain management doctor, and you have to work WITH the doctor.They decide on which medication, but you can certainly give your history of what has worked.You have the right to change pain doctors, but you can not enter a pain management contract with any guarantee that you will get fentanyl. In fact, it is a bad way to approach things.If you have tried your doctors way and it is not working, the next step is feedback to him.If he won't listen you have to change doctors.Here is a reliable listhttp://www.healthgrades.com/pain-medicine-directory/ca-california/chico OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
I would look for a PMNR doctor in your areathey are generally superior at treating pain.what is your zip code?
HelloPM&R doctors, by their training, are not specifically pain management doctors.Some have that training and some do not.Their specialty is the manual medicine aspect of medicine, so helping to correct structural problems.This is really beyond your question, but I will tell you that many of them will not handle chronic narcotic use, so in this sense you would be pursuing a course that will waste your time.Because of the pressure by the DEA on narcotics prescriptions, pain management specialists are often the only doctors willing to prescribe these chronically.Find me as needed. I am here daily for correct, accurate and safe answers.