Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

86 years old. History of heart disease, COPD. Was asleep woke

Customer Question

86 years old. History of heart disease, COPD. Was asleep woke up and couldn't catch his breadth for several seconds. After he was able to get some air into his lungs everything seamed to be fine. My father just finished a check up with his cardiologist and pulmonary doctor. " All seamed OK" At my fathers age should I be more concerned than I am?
BRUCE 60 year old son.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.
Hello!You may want to ASK his pulmonary doctor about considering a SLEEP STUDY..The history sounds that he may have some issue perhaps have an issue with Obstructive Sleep Apnea..That would fit with awakening feeling short of breath ...I hope that this information is helpful for you!Let me know if you have further questions/concerns/discussion.I will be happy to get back with you!If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 5 months ago.
There is limited studies that support the benefit of these two items in stroke prevention. But, there is no prove that they do any harm