Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Chronic sore throat on left side. Radiates to ear

Customer Question

Chronic sore throat for months on left side. Radiates to ear and neck. Sinuses clear. Thick vicous mucous in the day - hacking up clear stringy mucous all day. Nighttime no issues. Followed a long viral illness and then tonsillitis. Otherwise fit and healthy. 2 blood tests completed - last one was a month ago - levels were all ok.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloMONO must be tested for.Also, after this type of illness, acid reflux can be the cause.It can be the only symptom.A trial or something like prilosec will help to see if this is the case.You need an ENT exam: they can scope you further than a regular doctor, to make sure there is no lesion causing this. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - was tested for MONO and was negative.
I can feel a tiny lesion at base of my Uvola that seems to go up and down in size daily.
But most pain is under my jaw right up in the crevis when I poke with finger
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
ENT consult needed for the scope.Acid reflux will be apparent on that scope if that is doing it.As would any lesion. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I think you probably have ETD or eustachian tube dysfunctionhave you tried a combination of flonase and zyrtec?or an oral anti histamine and steroid nasal spray?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Some more info for you:
Nighttime no issues. Upon waking I do have some discharge from my left ear - clear watery.
The moment I wake and stretch and yawn, I can almost feel quite a sharp point like it's tearing my throat tissue hidden deep above my Adam's apple and on left side. The same pain is felt when I swallow but not always.
Ear pain is more an inconvenience not requiring pain killers. Also radiates around the neck area on left too. I have tinnitus as I sit here typing and I can equalise both ears when I blow out holding my nose though feels harder on the left to achieve.
My GP felt my glands yesterday and said he can't feel any lumps or bumps but will refer me to an ENT consultant due to amount of time I have had the issue.
Clearing the phlegm commences the moment I wake till until I sleep. Often thicker in the morn and is visible on back of my throat.
Over 2 months ago, GP prescribed me 1 wk course of Amoxicillin to clear potential bacterial sinusitis but nothing changed. Tonsillitis was 6 wks ago but the left sided pain in throat has never gone away.Not tried the drugs you suggested though am familiar with antihistamines and beconase as I use yearly in June due to grass pollen hayfever.I have over the years suffered from blocked ears as a result of a lot of swimming and colds etc. Cleared by stringing by nurse.Do you suggest anything else with this new info or another diagnosis please?Many thanksWarren
Thanks for this reply WarrenI think you definitely should try cetirizine or loratadine in addition to beconase.I believe you definitely have allergic rhinitis or eustachian tube dysfunctionplease don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate it