Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

The pain is unbelievable in both legs when they cramp. The

Customer Question

The pain is unbelievable in both legs when they cramp. The cramps wake me up at night.
The pain is ongoing today.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. There is no question that adding water and/or electrolytes will help your perfusion of blood by increasing your blood volume, but this is probably not enough. You can use additional beverages, quinine water, which must have natural quinine in it (Schweppes does) will also help more than Gatoraide. You can get magnesium from health food stores, that will calm muscles going into cramp and help. There are also medications like Trental, that you would need to discuss with your pharmacist to increase your blood flow into the legs, in concert with medications like aspirin and clopidogrel (plavix). Stretching your muscles before bed will also help, going for a walk. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, and I will reply. I can also call you Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloI have a much different answer.You need a diagnosis for the cramping.In many cases it is not a serious or even exactly understood cause.In other cases is can reflect problems with the lower spine.It can reflect problems with circulation.In fact there are a lot of potential causes:See what the mayo clinic says herehttp://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/night-leg-cramps/basics/causes/sym-20050813 You need to see your doctor about this.We can not diagnose you and we do not replace a doctors visit, nor do we prescribe.Find me, Dr. Thomas, any time in medical for correct answers.Please click a positive rating at the top of this page.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
I suspect medsstatins being the most commondo you take a statin or smoke?
HIThe most common cause of leg cramps alone is not statins.And you have not stated that you take any meds.You need to have this evaluated, and don't delay.