Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Can I take my vitamins the day of my blood cholesterol tests

Customer Question

Can I take my vitamins the day of my blood cholesterol tests (Lipid Profile) or should I get off of them a week before or a day before? Also should I drink a glass of water in the morning a hour before I take my Lipid Profile I heard that was good to do? Please let me know Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloThere is no need to change anything.But the lipid profile should be fasting.Follow the lab instructions exactly. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please you have not answer the question about the water? Also should I drink a glass of water in the morning a hour before I take my Lipid Profile I heard that was good to do? Please let me know Thanks I do know you have to fast 12 hours before. Please explain the water question in detail because I am confused??
No you should not drink a glass of water an hour before with any expectation that this is necessary. You can have water during the fasting period, but there is no reason to think you need water an hour before.Fasting should be at lest 9 hours. 12 is better. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.