Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have taken (with a physician's prescription) 2 mh hydromorphone

Customer Question

I have taken (with a physician's prescription) 2 mh hydromorphone by mouth for pain as there is some uncertainty if I am allergic to morphine and therefore to Oxycodone. This is clearly not enough to deal with my pain. Just so that I can get some sleep tonight, it is safe to add 1 mg Lorazepam?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, although with caution. Whenever two drugs are combined and each can cause sedation, there is concern that the combination can cause much more sedation than either drug alone. However, we frequently use two medicines together that can cause sedation. This can be done if the medicines are taken separately - once the first drug has been absorbed and is not causing much sedation, it would be OK to add the second medicine. In your case, the hydroporphone may take an hour to peak in the system, so if after an hour you are not having much sedation, it would be OK to add the lorazepam. Over time, as you learn how each drug affects you, it may be ultimately judged OK to even take both medicines at the same time, but we would typically not want to do that until more experience with each drug is acquired. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at