Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

My RBC count has been low the past two years...4.52 m/uL recently

Customer Question

My RBC count has been low the past two years...4.52 m/uL recently and 4.51 one year ago. All other blood tests are within normal range...WBC 4.9 K/uL, Hgb 14.2 g/dL, Hct 42.1%, MCV 93 fL, MCH 31.4 pg, MCHC 33.7 g/dL, RDW 12.3%, RDWSD 42.2 fL, and Plt Ct 201 K/uL.
What would cause RBC, alone, to be below normal? Suggestions for follow-up tests to rule-in or rule-out? Suggestions for therapy to raise RBC?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Your RBC is actually within the normal limits (normal for men is approximately 4.5 to 6.0million cells/ul) and for women in women 4.2 to 5.4 million/ul) RBC, Hgb and HCT are the indictors for you blood oxygen carrying system. When they are low, you are anemic. But, yours are notYour RBC, Hgb and HCT are within the normal limits and there no need for you to do any thing to change that.
Let me know if you need any further clarifications
I hope I answered your question satisfactorily. When you are ready, please complete the stars rating above, it's the only way we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions after you complete the rating. Best wishes