Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I just had a left shoulder mri with contrast done and I'm having

Customer Question

I just had a left shoulder mri with contrast done and I'm having a hard time reading and understanding it please help?
Here it is word for word
AC joint: status post resection
Effusion /bobies: Glenohumeral joint is well distended with gadolinium contrast. No intra-articular bobies are seen. Small fluid in the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa
Biceps tendon: Smooth truncation at the biceps anchor with screw within the bicipital groove from prior biceps tenodesis. There is a visualized tendon below the tenodesis which appears chronically mildly thickened and irregular but otherwise intact.
Labrum: Suggestion of prior superior labral debridement. No acute labral tear.
GH Ligaments: On the prior exam there was evidence of tearing of the inferior glenohumeral ligament complex but this appears intact and mildly chronically thickened on today's exam and may represent interval healing/guarding or postoperative fixation.
The middle glenohumeral ligament is not seen and may be congenitally absent or severely diminutive.
Supraspinatus: Normal
Infraspinatus/teres: 16mm AP region of tendon thickening and increased intermediate signal within the mid to posterior fibers of the infraspinatus which likely represents a combination of postsurgical change and tendinosis. No definite recurrent full-thickness tear of the infraspinatus.
Teres minor is unremarkable
Subscapularis: Normal
Superficial muscles: Normal
Please help
Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.
There is some fluid in the bursa, which is a sac, normally there.The tendon to the biceps muscle looks good.The normal tendon is thick but OK.The labrum, the connective tissue between the arm bone and the shoulder socket, is a little frayed, but intact.The old tear of the arm to shoulder ligaments is gone. Slightly thick but OK.There is one ligment [middle] which they did not see. This can be normal, or it degenerated.There is thickening of the infraspinatus tendon, but it is intact. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.