Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Past few months, I have had unexplained pain

Customer Question

Hello: For the past few months, I have had unexplained pain beneath my lower ribs on both sides, my right flank and at various points in my upper back. Since January, I have had a complete physical where all blood tests were normal, urinalysis was normal. I also had a CT abdomen/pelvis without contrast where nothing unusual was found (except "diverticulosis without evidence of diverticulitis" and “mild atherosclerotic calcification of the bilateral common iliac arteries”). After that, I was tested for ulcers, also nothing found. I really have no other symptoms, just regular pain and/or burning in the areas I've mentioned. It's not debilitating, but I'm always aware of it. Food and movement don’t seem to play a role in bringing it on, either.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou should ask your doctor for an MRI scan of your thoracic and lumbar spine with contrast.sometimes you can have herniation of disks in your spine which can pinch on nerves which lead to below your ribs on both sides.a CT scan doesn't see your nerves and disks very well in your spinedo you have any back pain? have you had a spine MRI scan before?