Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Doc: 44 year old male otherwise excellent health,

Customer Question

Hello Doc:
44 year old male otherwise excellent health, no meds or conditions.
Somewhat sensitive stomach to certain foods (wheat dairy) get gas and bloat, other wise normal digestion.
I ate a large meat loaf late one night, with a few apples, and woke a few hrs later with a burning pain in my stomach and bloating. The chop meat, was at a supermarket, which I previously had some problem with although not as bad. I completely forgot to avoid this market and their meat.
The first few days were just gastritis, eventually I tried eating a regular meal and it became Acid reflux. I tried Milk of Magnesia, it gave me additional cramps and bloating, magnesium upsets my stomach another lapse of memory.
Local gastro docs needs a month to see him, I did go to a local emergimed DR, she recommended I try Aciphex until my system recovers.
The aciphex helps a lot but still getting some gas and bloating, still some burning from my stomach to my colon. Been on aciphex one day. It helps a lot, BTW no fever and normal Blood cell count, the Dr doesn't think it was food poisoning.
Question any recommendations, don't like medications. Chamomile Tea seems to help along with DGL. Drinking a ton of water, pri***** *****quid diet, carrot juice with some protein powder. Bananas seem to burn my stomach.
What do you think happened here? The Milk of magnesium took 2 days ago, still seems to be giving cramping, how do I get it out of my system?
Much thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The inflammation of the lining takes some to heal.This also slows down digestion causing gas and bloating.It is better to start a probiotic daily to restore balance.Culturelle Digestive health 2 capsules daily wil lhelp.Please follow a low FODMAP diet.And you can take Simethicone or GasX strips for reducing gas problem.Milk of magnesia will be out of your system in 2-3 days.Above suggestion will work also.Bananas can irritate your stomach as well. better avoided.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The probiotics, gave me additional gas and bloating, and worsened my reflux. Not a good idea.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gas X doesnt seem to help at all,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dr Basu:Sorry for the piecemeal responses above, I did try the protobiotic, it gave me additional gas, and upper stomach spasms from the gas. I think my stomach is too sensitive for it right now. I can barely eat. Is there any way to speed healing?, Aloe Juice,?Zinc Carnosine is popular?, but I',m not sure how Zinc will do in my situation. It is highly studied.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.
That is a challenging situation.Yes aloe juice may be helpful.Zinc may be irritant as well.Another good option will be Sucralfate liquid to be taken just before meals.It forms a coating on the gastric lining protecting against any irritation.Sucralfate will require prescription.Best wishes