Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

What is your opinion of the physiological safety of the Ideal

Customer Question

What is your opinion of the physiological safety of the Ideal Protein Diet for a person (age 74) with obesity, mild hypertension (on amlodipine), mildly high cholesterol (atorvastatin), and Type II diabetes well-controlled by lifestyle? I also have a slightly elevated GFR (55). I am knowledgeable about the mechanics of the program (phases, cost, mild ketosis etc.) and wonder about the safety. I will see my Nurse Practioner in a couple of months but would appreciate an opinion now to consider.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan and I will assist you today. A high protein , low fat and carbohydrate diet is beneficial, but is it safe for you? What is your creatinine level? It may be that your kidney function is compromised at stage 2-3. A high protein diet will strain your renal function even more. But I need to know your creatinine level to be more accurate. Should you try this high protein diet your fluid intake must be increased substantially. Please provide your creatinine level so I can make a better evaluation for you.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm waiting for your response to my question RE creatinine level