Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

There I just found out I'm pregnant roughly 1-2 weeks so

Customer Question

Hi there I just found out I'm pregnant roughly 1-2 weeks so very early. However i was given doxycycline on Monday for flu symptoms and have taken four of the 8 tablets but stopped today. I'm no panicking as iv read it's not good for the baby
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. You should take additional folic acid and cyanocobalamine (Vitamin B12). they are both found in prenatal vitamins, so that would be recommended. Although the risk from taking doxycycline is relatively low, do not take it for the flu, as it really does not change the course of the disease. Not to worry about the doxycycline though, it is oral, and it is highly unlikely to cause damage to your baby. ok? Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work Good luck to you. Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloTalk to an OB doctor, and have natal care.The drug is category D, and there is evidence of fetal toxicity.The exact correlation to human beings from animal studies is not known.Risk, therefore , is not known exactly, and we an not say how much risk you have at this point.It might be dose dependent, so stopping it fast was the right thing to do.I am a double board certified clinical internal medicine doctor.20 years of experience with this.Find me as needed.please click a positive here.
I disagree with the other expert, There is no risk as assessed by the FDA regarding deoxycycline used in pregancy in the first trimester. There is data on yellowing of teeth in the second and third, but that does not apply. Still, as mentioned, you should take folic acid and prenatals as indicated. I hope that helps Dr Frank
HiThe drug is FDA category DHere is an explanationhttp://www.drugs.com/pregnancy-categories.htmlThe following citation quotes FDA information and studies, showing thatthere is possible risk ANYTIME during pregnancy.http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/doxycycline.htmlDrugs.com is a good source to look at , as it is essentially FDA information.We think there might be little risk but at I said, we don't know due to lack of enough data.It is not good to assume no risk under these criteria, and the studies available do show possible risk.See your OB: I would coordinate with your doctor. Make sure you are OK