Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I submitted a stool sample to retest .diff

Customer Question

Hi, I submitted a stool sample to retest for c.diff for my son last Tuesday, I spoke with the office this Tuesday was told they results are available usually in 10 days.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Ok sure. What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Well, my son tested positive for c.diff with gdh antigen and toxin a+b on 3/30/16. We put him on Florastor twice daily about a few weeks before he had c.diif with starting dose of just 1 packet daily. Throughout this whole time he had 1-2 loose stools with some blood, a few episodes of diarrhea, and consistently mucuosy stools and no blood or diarrhea. About a month we are talking about here. Last Tuesday we gave another stool sample to retest and to this day are awaiting for results.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HiI am not sure what your question is.C diff toxin takes about a few hours to test for.If that is possible, treatment is metronidazole.Floraster will not cure an overgrowth, and especially not if there are symptoms.It is adjunctive to getting rid of the C-diff.And good to use afterwards. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
They may have done a special test for c diff like a culture for the bacteriaI would call back and ask them to run a toxin screenUsually 3 samples are needed 8 hours or more apart
HiIn fact, as you state this was not a culture, and in fact was the following type of testhttp://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/TestDetail.action?ntc=91664The reason it will take longer is because of the PCR component.If they do not detect the toxin, they do the additional testing to make sure, which takes longer.I am a double board certified US doctor and will always give you correct answers.Find me as needed.See my additional services offer.
I'm sure it was a culture or it wouldn't take 10 days. how are your symptoms today?