Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is it ok take a probiotic and zantac while take cephalexin

Customer Question

is it ok take a probiotic and zantac while take cephalexin
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is OK to take a probiotic while taking Zantac and cephalexin, but the probiotic may be of limited effectiveness while taking the cephalexin (or any antibiotic), and then help more after the cephalexin course is completed. Since the antibiotic will kill good and bad germs, it may limit the growth of the good germs in the probiotic, Taking the probiotic will provide some support for the good germs in your gut while taking the antibiotic, so it still may be better than if the probiotic is not taken, but it will do better at promoting the growth of the good germs once the cephalexin is finished. However, there clearly is no adverse interaction that will occur by taking a probiotic with the Zantac or cephalexin. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/