Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My 13 yr old son woke up with a nose bleed this morning. After

Customer Question

My 13 yr old son woke up with a nose bleed this morning. After going back to sleep, he then woke up and threw up blood. Is it from the blood drawing to his stomach or something more severe?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, he has never had the vomitting of blood, but does have nosebleeds on occasion
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 months ago.
HelloWelcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** being a medical specialist I would be able to assist you in your query. Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic I would like some more information : Did he have difficulty in breathing ?Does he normally bleed from the nose on other previous occasions ?Does he have any abdominal pain ?Does he have any blood in stools or black stools ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No trouble breathing. Does have around 3 or 4 nosebleeds a year. Says his stomach hurts a little but is eating at this very moment. No noticeable blood or black stools. He had what appears to be a broken blood vessel in his left eye earlier this week.
Is there any family history of bleeding problems from your side or his fathers side ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is adopted. It has been with us for 10 yrs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has been with us for 10 yrs
Thank you very much for the information.If you do not have a family history in mind. I would suggest you to get the following screening tests done :prothrombin timeplasma thromboplastin timebleeding time clotting timecomplete blood count blood group testinghemoglobin for thalassemia trait study The present issue at hand does not sound alarming as he may have thrown up the swallowed blood .But it is better to investigate as a baseline. Do let me know if you have any further queries. It definitely does not sound like a bleeding issue from the stomach as there are no other significant symptoms.
Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?Do you have any further queries?I am awaiting a response from you . RegardsDr Pravin
HelloPlease do let me know if you still have your concern. I am awaiting a message from you .I would be happy to help you