How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 63940
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been having chest pains half an hour and numbness

Customer Question

I've been having chest pains for almost half an hour and numbness on my left hand, I'm getting worried that I might be having a heart attack, im 18 years of age
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidat your age, a heart attack would be very unlikelywhat is more common to cause chest pain at your age is bad anxiety symptoms which can cause chest pains, chest pressure, shortness of breath and sometimes even left hand pain.also bad acid reflux can cause chest pains as wellif you have bad anxiety symptoms, you need to see a doctor who can treat you for bad anxiety symptoms.there are medications which can help decrease your anxiety symptomsif you are worried about your heart, you can go to the hospital A&E department for evaluation.they can do blood tests for you and ECG to check your heartI bet your heart will be oklet me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.
do you have other questions?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 9 months ago.
HiFor a number of reasons, A&E is manditory, it is not optional.Rarely, 18 year olds have heart defects18 year olds can have viral pericarditis, which causes chest pain.This is easily treatable but in some cases can cause a problem if not treated.Structural problems can cause something called radiculopathy which can be due to spinal problems, and this would need evaluation. Yours would be an unusual distribution.I would have the evaluation and not simply decide this is anxiety.I am a double board certified clinical doctorBe safe.