Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I have deep vein thrombosis in my right leg, resulting in confirmed

Customer Question

I have deep vein thrombosis in my right leg, resulting in confirmed pulmonary embolisms in 2011 and possible embolisms over the previous two decades (long story here, but I thought I had a cracked rib). Now I have a Gunther Tulip in my vena cava and am on daily warfarin. Several doctors, including a VA doctor, say this stems from a severed femoral artery near my groin in 1970. There was also nerve damage, then phlebitis following surgery. I've been told a handful of different ways this may have led to the thrombosis, Iincluding scar tissue slowing the femoral vein flow and leg pain (there always has been pain, but it has been low level) making me rest the leg more, thereby having less muscle involvement in the blood flow from my leg. However, the VA disability system says no, a severed artery (and nerve and muscke damage) from 1970 couldn't be the cause of my condition. What is the prevailing hematologist think about a possible link?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.
Well, I'm a neurologist, but I agree that your DVT/PE condition could be related to your remote femoral artery injury. The connection would be particularly compelling if there is documented clot formation at the site of injury and nowhere else.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
Hi John. How's your leg today? Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.