Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I was in Cambodia about a 5 weeks ago and become violently

Customer Question

I was in Cambodia about a 5 weeks ago and become violently ill with food poisoning for 10 days. Got back to USA still had sour digestive issues but much better. Nothing showed on my blood test. Now I have stomach cramps when I eat, lower Gi pain intermittent, gas, and my stools are almost indescribable,with a small amount of bright red blood, undigested food pieces and I am on medication that causes constipation. Any idea what I might be dealing with and what I should do about it as a cure and pain relief.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan and I will help you today. You should be evaluated by a Gastroenterologist who will order stool cultures and look for worms and parasites. The medicine you describe sounds like LoMotil. I hope this is helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloI am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.Your symptoms are typical of Giardia.This is a ubiquitous parasite world wide, and if it becomes chronic after the acute state, gas is a main symptom.You don't need a GI doctor which would take time, and you need a referral in the US in most cases.Any regular doctor can order 3 stool samples, collected at different times.that should be your next step.Do not use lomotil, this could cause problems.We also don't know what medicine you are already on...I will be glad to evaluate that as well.Please click a positive rating here.Find me as needed.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Have you made arrangements to be evaluated by a doctor? It is important that you do not delay getting the stool specimens. Dr Stan
HiIf you are infected3 stool samples will be definitive in most cases5 in some cases.I would not worry about a day or two delay.You do not want to leave the infection however.You can find Dr. Thomas by request in medical to save time and get safe, correct and comprehensive answers.