Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I'm having out patient surgery in a few weeks on the veins

Customer Question

I'm having out patient surgery in a few weeks on the veins in my lower legs (closed valves) The Dr. wants to just give me a Valium to as he put it, take the edge off! I've never had surgery in all my 74 yrs. been super healthy so far! I don't take any type of meds at all. I'm very scared to have this done not being able to be put to sleep and I wonder if 2 valium instead of one would be better for me because, i'm afraid, I might have a panic attack if I get really scared as he's working on me! will 2 Valium hurt me or will just one Valium do the trick? Please be honest with me as I have a very low tolerance for pain etc. What will the effects of 1 or 2 pills have on me ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Valium is an extremely safe drug for you. It is very difficult to overdose on Valium if you have never taken it before. Before I can answer if you should take one or two pills, I would have to know the size as in mg. The usual dose for valium for sedation prior to anesthesia is 5 mg to 10 mg, so if they are giving you 5 mg tablets, one tab will "take the edge off" and two will make you not remember much of what happened during the procedure. BUT, you will not stop breathing, the medication will not slow your heart or drop your blood pressure. So do not worry, this is not a dangerous issue. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. I can also call you if you wish to discuss this on the phone. JA charges extra for this service, but if interested, just place your phone number and a time to call, if not now, into the offer box, and I will call you to discuss this further. Or just ask questions and I will reply. Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloI am a double board certified US doctor, clinical doctor, which means I have been the doctor to certify patients for operations , pre op, for over 20 years.In fact, since you have never taken valium before, you do not have a tolerance. It is thus not only easier to overdose , when one has no tolerance, but it is also true that one pill, per your doctors prescription[controlledsubstance] is likely to relax you. In fact, preoperatively there is no reason to take more, as anesthesia will see you pre operatively, you will have an IV in and they can deliver more effective medications as needed.In other words, the oral medication is simply to get things started.What ever they do after that will be tailored to the situation, and precise. Worrying about one or two valium is a non issue. Your doctor can give you the strength you need in one pill, and make sure you are not trying to take an extra pill on your own out of anxiety. Do any of thisonly in conjunction with your doctor.You can save time and find me by request in medical for fast comprehensive, clinically experienced and correct answers.Please click a positive on the scale on the top of this post.Find me as needed. Let me know if you have further questions.