Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

I had cancer in my mouth and right lower jaw and parts of my

Customer Question

i had cancer in my mouth and right lower jaw and parts of my tongue an now i cant swallow. Can you help me learn how to swallow again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Learning to swallow is difficult and needs a therapist, in much a manner as relearning a language. The Speech/Language Pathologist working with the ENT physician will put you into a training program to try and relearn swallowing. It depends on the cause, of course, and which muscles in the swallowing circuit were damaged/denervated by the treatment you received. Most swallowing problems are from an "upper motor neuron" problem, meaning a stroke has effected the brain cells that run the motor nuclei involved in swallowing, the lower motor neurons. Your problem is much different, and you recieved surgery, radiation and/or both and you have a lower motor neuron problem. The nerve can be damaged axonally or demyelinated (the insulation stripped off) or it can be cut. So it depends on the degree of damage to the lower motor neuron(S). Have you seen a neurologist for an EMG study? Get back to me to discuss this further and I will help. I will attach a webpage on the National Chapter for Swallowing training. Frank
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 months ago.
Dwayne, get back to me to discuss this problem further if I can help. I am a Neurologist and have some ideas. Dr Frank