Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

QUESTION}we took my daughter to the ER on Friday night with severe ab

Customer Question

{QUESTION}we took my daughter to the ER on Friday night with severe abdominal pain in the upper left side of her abdomen and center. This was after a full week of having dry heaves which we thought were brought on by antibiotics and steroids for a sinus infection. They did an ultrasound and said that there was a lot of stool. We were sent home to start a regimen of Miralax and colace which we started that night. She has sense had 6 doses of the Miralax and 8 colace tablets. She did an enema today and has only gone 3 times with a small amount of diarrhea which I am assuming was mostly the enema. Shouldn't more have happened by now and is this an urgent matter that we should take back to the ER or can we continue to wait it out and do another enema?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloIf she has pain or discomfort, to the ER.She is probably impacted.That is what it sounds like.This often requires a supervised powerful enema, or manual disimpaction, where the remove stool with the finger, often in combination with an enema.I would err on the side of safety in fact.I am a double board certified US doctor.Please click a positive rating..if you forget that I am not paid by justanswer.Find me anytime.Let me know if you have further questions.