Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have RBC of 3.6 -- I am a female age 53. Is this anemia? JA:

Customer Question

I have RBC of 3.6 -- I am a female age 53. Is this anemia?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What additional info do you need?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had pain in my lower left abdomen for approximately 6 months. Pain is not severe but is about a 4 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest. I did a cancer screening test for AFP -- two month ago the AFP level was 10.5 (normal is 0-8.3). last week I had another AFP (Alpha-Feto Protein) test --- and the number had risen to 11.7
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is mild drop in RBC count --may be taken as anemia.Left lower quadrant pain can be due to the inflammation of the colon.That can raise AFP mildly.You should consider a colonoscopy.But AFP level is not concerning.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloIf your hemoglobin is normal, this is not anemia.RBC alone can not be used to diagnose anemia and there are at least a dozen reasons it can be low or vary.What is your hemoglobin.I will be glad to review your entire set of tests.I am a double board certified US doctor.Find me any time.Dr. Thomas.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Mildly low RBC count and left lower abdominal pain require colonoscopy to rule out any polyp or diverticular disease.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
HelloA reduced RBC can be fromtraumared cell destructionbleedingB12 or folate deficiencybone marrow damagebone marrow deficiency or diseasechronic inflammationkidney diseaseThere is no specific indicator for colonoscopy.lYour next tests need to be based on exam.I will be glad to review all of your tests and medical history.AFP is not specific, can be elevated in a wide variety of cancers, liver disease, and your levels are not significantly increased. A rising level is of concern.Have you had a colonoscopy?Cancers that would need to be considered are:liver, colon, lung, breast, ovary, lymphoma, and others [testicular].If you are female, I would do a scan before colonoscopy, looking at ovaries and colon as well as liver.So, as you see, the situation requires further input. I am Dr. Thomas. Find me by request exclusively for comprehensive, accurate and safe answers.Please click a positive.Find me as needed.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Low red cell count, left lower abdominal pain and mildly elevated AFP suggest likely colon inflammation.It can be diverticulitis commonly.However sometimes, this can be omnious sign of colon cancer.Colonoscopy is recommended in this case, but most likely benign changes.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/