Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I have been taking 2 Advils a day 2 years .

Customer Question

I have been taking 2 Advils a day for over 2 years for headaches. How do I stop taking them
JA: Headaches are rough -- it's so hard to focus on anything other than the pain. How long have you been dealing with the headaches? Any time with a headache is too long. But don't worry -- the MDs we work with will have some insights and suggestions for you. Other than this, how has your health been in general? Please give me just a bit more information so the Doctor can help you best. For example have you seen a Doctor for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: Yes, I have discussed with my doctor over the years...I had a head MRI which was fine. I believe it is coming from my neck.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The underlying cause of headache should be addressed first.If this is due to the neck arthritis, you will benefit from epidural steroid injection and physical therapy.In case of migraine type headache, you can be tried on oral Sumatriptan on as needed basis.Daily migraine preventing medication like topiramate can be used along with.Resistant migraine headache responds well to Botox injection.Please discuss with a neurologist as well.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This was not the question I asked. I want to know how to stop taking the Advils
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Both are related strongly.You need to taper off ibuprofen first by 100 mg every week.At the same time, alternative treatment should be tried to control your headaches to prevent advil related withdrawal headaches.The management as outlined above is well recognized in medical community.Best wishes,