Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I signed on about 1/2 hour ago with questions regarding

Customer Question

I signed on about 1/2 hour ago with questions regarding Barretts Esophagus, I described my issues, I signed on for my Visa Account to be charged, I gave my E-Mail address and a pass word then everything disappeared. I don't know what happened.I do not use the computer much but can get E-Mail okay. Do you have an answer to my problem? Thank You Norma Smith
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello NormaI can helpWhat is your question?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I answered question on the previous thread.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
I am going to paste the same answer here for you and then you can let me know if you have further queries or concerns. Answer:Hello Norma,Nissen Fundoplication is still being done.In this procedure, the fundus of the stomach (upper part) is wrapped, or plicated, around the lower end of the oesophagua and stitched in place, reinforcing the closing function of the lower oesophageal sphincter. This reduces the acid reflux from the stomach to the oesophagus and helps in healing of the barret's oesophagus. This can be coupled with an endoscopic mucosal resection of the mucosa of the oesophagus that is diseased.The procedure is now done laparoscopically which means via key hole surgery.At your age, it is a matter of how fit you are to undergo anesthesia since the procedure is done under general anesthesia and whether you have any comorbinds. Surgical candidacy can only be evaluated by physically examining you, running some tests and getting an anesthesia evaluation done.Before that, the surgeon will assess how much you will benefit from such a procedure by looking at your endoscopic findings.Age is no longer a contraindication to any required procedure however, fitness of the body to undergo a proceure and anesthesia is what matters.This procedure is carried out by colorectal and general surgeons. The Vanderbilt University Medical Centre surely has surgeons who perform this procedure. And the best and the safest way is to get such a procedure done by a university affliated teaching hospital.I would suggest that you go and explore your options there or get in contact with one of their surgeons over the phone and share your medical details with him/her before you actually go there formally.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you got my reply this time.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.