Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus about 3 years ago.

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus about 3 years ago. At that time I talked to my Dr about treatment and he said the only thing I could do was stay on Protonix for the rest of my life. I have been back to the Dr twice for Endoscopes and he said everything remains about the same. In a recent conversation with a friend in Erie Pa she advised me she had the same problem and a Dr in Erie Pa referred her to a Dr inPittsburg Pa who performed a Nissan Fundiplication(I hope I have this spelled correctly) and she has had no problems at all and can eat anything she wants with no side effects..Is this surgery still being done, or is there something else that has replaced it? I am 83 years old , in good health and wanted to know if I could be a candidate for this type of surgery Where would a hospital be located near to me that might consider doing this procedure. I live near Huntsville Al but am also close to Vanderbuilt Hospital in Nashville, Tn.
Thank You *****
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Hello Norma,Nissen Fundoplication is still being done.In this procedure, the fundus of the stomach (upper part) is wrapped, or plicated, around the lower end of the oesophagua and stitched in place, reinforcing the closing function of the lower oesophageal sphincter. This reduces the acid reflux from the stomach to the oesophagus and helps in healing of the barret's oesophagus. This can be coupled with an endoscopic mucosal resection of the mucosa of the oesophagus that is diseased. The procedure is now done laparoscopically which means via key hole surgery.At your age, it is a matter of how fit you are to undergo anesthesia since the procedure is done under general anesthesia and whether you have any comorbinds. Surgical candidacy can only be evaluated by physically examining you, running some tests and getting an anesthesia evaluation done.Before that, the surgeon will assess how much you will benefit from such a procedure by looking at your endoscopic findings.Age is no longer a contraindication to any required procedure however, fitness of the body to undergo a proceure and anesthesia is what matters.This procedure is carried out by colorectal and general surgeons. The Vanderbilt University Medical Centre surely has surgeons who perform this procedure. And the best and the safest way is to get such a procedure done by a university affliated teaching hospital.I would suggest that you go and explore your options there or get in contact with one of their surgeons over the phone and share your medical details with him/her before you actually go there formally.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.