Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I believe I have become dependent on pandaiene forte

Customer Question

hello I believe I have become dependent on pandaiene forte (500mg paracetamol & 30 mg codiene) I am taking 8-10 per day and Diazepam 5mg which I am taking 1 - 3 per day. This is my current regime which commenced last August 2015 when I was taking approx 6 panadiene forte and 1 diazepam per day.
So given my current regime what affect/damage am I doing my body short and long term.
I write down each and every time I take my above medications to keep a record as it would be too easy to just forget and take some more than I have outlined...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David10 of the paracetamol would be 5000mg of paracetamol which can be toxic to your liveryou need to go to the A&E right away and let them know you are taking 8-10 a day and get blood test to check on your liver enzymesyou might need acetylcysteine to help your liver from paracetamol overdose toxicity to your liver.the maximum daily dose of paracetamol is 4000mg a day or only 8 pills a day.over time, too much paracetamol can damage your liveryou need to see a doctor right away to get your liver checked at the hospital.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I was too maintain at 8 panadiene forte per day ongoing would that be ok?What is acetylcysteine?What about my diazepam intake?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you could have already done damage to your liveryou need to see a doctor right away.even 8 panadeine forte could be toxic to your liver now if your liver is weakened.the diazepam should be fineacetylcystine is the IV emergency antidote medication given in the hospital to reverse paracetamol toxicity damage to your liver.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If 8 per day is safe and I have been taking 10 for a few days over a week I think I should be ok...And at 8 per day if I was to develop a liver problem surely I would know by now, right!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you may not know you have a liver problemonly blood testing to check your liver enzymes and a liver ultrasound or liver MRI scan can tell if you have damage to your liver.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can feel fine and have damage to your liver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i previously had diagnosed fatty liver by ultra sound could my live get much worse than that given my above history?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, your liver could get worse with your history of paracetamol usage.it will continue to get worse if you take 8 of the panadeine forte a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I cease the panadiene forte will the liver correct itself???
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you will go into withdraw symptoms from the codeineyou need to see a doctor who can slowly taper you down off the codeineand take away the paracetamol out of the pills.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could I not just try and have nil and if I have severe codiene withdraw just take 1 or 2, keep it at that then cease? Such an embarrsing dilema!!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are trying to bargain because you have this addition to these pillsyou will do what you want to do at the end of the dayI can only give you my best advice here.you don't have to feel embarrassed. the longer you don't seek help, the longer you will continue to be addicted to these pain pillsand the longer you will not know the full damage to your liver.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...so I can see my doctor a get a liver blood test and come clean with whats been happening...Will a liver ultrasound show up any other liver damage, as already mentioned previously told have fatty liver..
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, of course you can see your doctor and get blood testing and tell them what you are taking.blood testing will show inflammation of your liver with most likely elevated AST and ALT levelsliver ultrasound will show again inflammation and fatty liver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...then all being well, ceasing the pills etc how long until my liver would return to normal..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it could take 3-6 months or longer for your liver to return back to normallet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com