Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed (the pathology diagnosis from my

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed (the pathology diagnosis from my colonoscopy and endoscopy) with Ulcerative Esophagagitis, duodenitis, chronic gastritis, a haital hernia, a stricture, GERD, and finally ilieitis, with wall thickening in the ileum. I also have been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation 1 and seizures and chronic migraines. As well as probable Endometriosis. All diagnosed from CT scans and an MRI. My question is the Dr. That found all of this out only Diagnosed me with IBS and Gerd....if it's IBS how and why do I have so much inflammation (ileitis, duodenitis) as well as bloody stolls and constipation/diarrhea. My aunt has Chrohns and my grandfather has Ulcerative Colitis and they were missed diagnosed as well in the beginning. Could you just tell me what you think please? I'm not a Dr. By any means but this doesn't make sense.
Thank you
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thus flare has gone on for 4 months. I've had symptoms my whole life.
Fatigue
Stomach pain
D/C
Gas
Severe Pain on the right side from fib to just beside/below navel area.
Fo the last 4 month I have been in extreme pain. When I did my barium swallow, the pain just about sent me to the hospital for 2 days until the white BM was gone I couldn't even walk. The pain has me doubled over and is debilitating as I can't even drive.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The biopsies were negative for H - pylori, and Crohns/Colitis but he said he couldn't get a good look at my ilieum. He is a general surg. Not a GI.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My blood tests CBC and Cmp all came back "normal"
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Some of this does not make sense, but it is more complex than simply whether inflammation is present in the GI tract. Most of the inflammation - esophagitis, gastritis, duodenitis - are typically due to acid irritation and/or a bacterial infection of the upper GI tract. There are some primary inflammatory conditions that can affect the upper GI tract. Although Crohn's disease primarily affects the ileum and colon, it is possible for Crohn's disease to cause inflammation anywhere in the GI tract (while ulcerative colitis will be limited to the colon). Diagnosing whether inflammation in the upper GI tract is due to Crohn's disease is usually by the pathologic examination of the biopsies, looking for a specific type of inflammation (the medical term would be noncaseating granulomatous inflammation). If the pathology examination did not identify such inflammation, then the inflammation in the upper GI tract is probably not from Crohn's disease. The ileitis is a common component of Crohn's disease, and would be very suspicious in someone with the symptoms that you describe, particularly the blood in the stool. IBS does not directly cause blood in the stool. It is possible that the chronic diarrhea or constipation associated with IBS can lead to anal problems that can bleed, such as hemorrhoids or anal fissures. But if there is no evidence of an anal problem, there would be more of a concern that there is a more significant GI problem. The pathology report will also usually see characteristic changes to suggest Crohn's dsease when it is the cause. But it is possible that it was not an optimal biopsy since the doctor could not get a good look at the ileum. If you were my patient, I would typically refer you to a Gastroenterologist at this point. There is another option - to ask for a second opinion on the pathologist examination of the biopsies. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you. I was told at the beginning I would be speaking with a certified GI Dr.? What happened there? I do have internal hemmroids, but the blood from those is red. The blood in my stool is usually dark red and mixed in my BM. And I eat nothing red in diet just to be sure.
I am not sure who told you this, but it is likely that there is no GI doctor online. With darker blood mixed with the stool, that would be more concerning for Crohn's disease.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At the beginning, I was told I would be speaking to a GI by the name of Dr. Asim or something like that. I appreciate your response but I thought I was paying to speak with a GI. I appreciate your time and prompt responses.
If the question was first intended for a specific expert and was then opened to other experts, it is usually because that expert is not available. I will check to see if the expert is available and will post again shortly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would appreciate that very much!
There is no Dr. Asim or other Gastroenterologist online.