Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 42 year old female , I have been on an antibiotic

Customer Question

Hi , I am a 42 year old female , I have been on an antibiotic for about 5 days ,amoxycillin duo forte, for very bad cough and flu like symptoms . Yesterday I started getting a pain in my left side of my chest , it has gotten much worse today , I am finding it hard to take a breath , without being in serve pain . I am in agony if I try and cough , or try and take a deep breath . Moving even hurts now .
Is this anything to be worried about ? Or maybe I pulled a muscle coughing ? Would I be in this much pain for just a muscle strain ?
Thank you Gayle
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The pain could be from a muscle strain or it could be related to inflammation of the lining around the lung due to the infection. The chest pain is actually not as worrisome as having shortness of breath. If you are having significant shortness of breath, then it would be appropriate for you to be seen again emergently. If the shortness of breath is not as severe, then it would be OK to try some home interventions to help with the pain. If the shortness of breath is not as severe, it would be reasonable to apply moist heat to the chest and to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , but I already take an anti-inflammatory for other things , it's not easing the pain at all .
I have been taking panadiene forte too , but that's not really doing anything either .
I've had plenty of muscular pain before , but this really doesn't feel like its muscular .
If you have experience with muscular pain and it does not feel muscular, then it is more likely due to the inflammation of the lining around the lung. You can add the use of moist heat to the anti-inflammatory medicine that you are already taking to see if it helps. The other option to consider would be the use of steroids to ease inflammation, but that is not available over the counter, so it would require seeing your doctor.
Please let me know if I can provide any further information.