Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I've loss my ability to taste - 68 years of age - knee replacement

Customer Question

I've loss my ability to taste - 68 years of age - knee replacement surgery in early Dec 2014. Follow up surgery for knee end Jan 2015. Prostate Biopsy which revealed prostate cancer mid February 2015, surgery to remove Basil cell carcinoma on mid back March 2015, Prostate surgery to remove prostate April 2015 - approx 6 hours in surgery almost 8 hours under anaesthesia followed by change in taste and gradual complete loss of taste by end of May 2015. Can smell fine but no sweet taste or salt taste. Can drink a glass of sea water and its like drinking fresh water. Had heavy pain killers for a few weeks following knee surgery as well as antibiotics and very strong antibiotics following prostate surgery to ensure no Kidney infections. Have had Ct scan and MRI late 2015 - all clear. ENT specialist can't help and I am at witts end! My email address if you want it is***@******.***
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Unfortunately, I would agree with you, that you have hypogeusia, a partial loss of taste, or ageusia, where it is totally gone, and on the list of things that can cause it, anesthetics and certain antibiotics can cause it. There is no specific treatment, there are things like not eating foods that have blended flavors, to try and keep flavors very isolated and specific to encourage your tongue's taste buds to restore themselves There are no medications nor are there tests other than the subjective taste tests that can be done in a taste lab. Here in the US, we have several taste and smell labs where they can decide if you have a problem, but there isn't a lot in the way of treatment. I will attach a webpage from our NIH department on your problem, it explains the common way this happens, and ideas on how to stimulate your taste buds back to life. Please get back to me with questions and I will reply, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/taste-disorders
David, please get back to me to discuss this further after you read my response. Dr frank