Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I am a 57 year old and I have copd , anything I take in gives

Customer Question

I am a 57 year old and I have copd , anything I take in gives me massive amounts of gas that I can't pass or belch so it accumulates and swells my stomach to the point of limiting the air I can get into my lungs, therefore I have panic attacks which make the situation worse. I've been to the emergency room twice and they look at me like I'm crazy. Any ideas ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.These symptoms can also be due to the gallbladder problem.Excess bile acid will cause intestinal irritation.When the gallbladder is not functioning well, the bile flow to the intestine may increase causing these symptoms.This will result in bloating, belching and also diarrhea especially after meals.These symptoms can be treated with a medication called Cholestyramine 4 gram twice daily will meals.Inflammatory bowel disorders like Crohn's disease, microscopic colitis, eosinophilic gastroenteritis are other possibilities.This requires colonoscopy to establish the diagnosis.Malabsorption syndrome is another strong possibility.Malabsorption syndrome includes the follow possibilities:1. Excess bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine known as SIBO syndrome.This is not usually diagnosed by the colonoscopy.Small intestinal aspirate can be sent for bacterial count.Carbohydrate breath test (D xylose) is a simple test to diagnose this condition.But, the treatment is much easier.A 14 day course of Rifaximine improves the symptoms dramatically.2. Lactose intolerance--- regular milk, dairy products.3.Gluten sensitivity or celiac disease--- Wheat based products.4. Chronic pancreatitis --- deficiency of the digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas.5. Gastroparesis -- delayed gastric and intestinal movement.-- treated with metoclopramide or domperidone daily.You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms.Please go to this link for detailed information: Please also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria.Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance.Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine.Simethicone and activated charcoal can be taken before meals to reduce gas and bloating.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile: