Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

QUESTION} Last night I kept waking up with severe pain below my sternum when I on

Customer Question

{QUESTION}
Last night I kept waking up with severe pain below my sternum when I laid on my side. It was minimize when I laid in supine. However. I am still having the pain now and my stomach is excessively loud, I am nauseous and I did have a normal BM today k
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidit sounds like you most likely have bad stomach acid and acid reflux up into your esophagus which can cause pain below your sternumyou might need to change your diet to avoid foods which cause worse stomach acid.there are over the counter stomach acid reducers like zantac, maalox, mylanta, tagamet which could help your stomach acid and reflux and nausea symptoms.do you have a drug store close to you where you can buy some stomach acid reducing agents to use?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been using tums and it does seem to be helping.
My last meal was yesterday at 5pm. Is it normal for reflux to last this long
tums is a pretty mild antacid.if you are not eating regular meals, your stomach acid has nothing to work on and can cause bad stomach acid and reflux.you should be eating regular meals 3-4 meals a day.why are you skipping meals?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's just when I ate dinner last night. My symptoms didn't start till 1 am. And I have not eaten BC I am in pain and nauseous and have no appetite
what did you eat last night ? did you drink alcohol last night?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had a chicken wrap and no no alcohol last night. I have had acid reflux before and pretty frequently. I typically get regurgitation with it and hiccups but never had pain. The pain comes and goes and is as severe as my pain when I had my appendicitis when the pain is present
you could be having esophageal spasms of the wall of your esophagus.there are medications like hyoscyamine or dicyclomine which can help with esophageal wall spasms.
let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
.