Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had an upset stomach 12 hours.. lower abdominal

Customer Question

I have had an upset stomach for about 12 hours.. lower abdominal cramping, gas, and bloating. Some nausea last night but I think that was anxiety induced. It started when I woke up from a deep sleep gasping for air (bad dream maybe?!) and then I started to feel anxious and panicky and my stomach ended up getting upset. This was around midnight and I didn't fall asleep until around 5am. I get up for work at 5:30am so I had around 1.5 hours of sleep.
The cramping isn't as bad, the nausea has gone, but I'm still bloated and I feel as though there is air under my rib area.
I have no fever, no diarrhea, no vomiting. This morning I drank a soy latte and it didn't make my stomach feel any worse or better.
I suffer from GAD and panic attacks so I don't know if this is making it worse or not.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also wanted to add that I had a bad sinus headache... pain and pressure in nose and cheeks and it feels uncomfortable to close my mouth because of the pressure. That started when I woke up at midnight. I also was suffering with a bad case of dry mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloSwallowing a lot of air from anxiety can cause the current feeling.A viral infection would be the most likely cause of any diarrhea, and of a sinus infection.If you have fever, bacterial sinus infection should be ruled out.You have not really asked a question. We do not diagnose here, as we can not examine you.I suggest you have an exam from your doctor.Your doctor also needs to consider sleep apnea as a contributing factor to your anxiety, as you are describing a possible apneic episode. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was just wondering if I should be concerned with stomach flu or food poisoning based on what I have mentioned. I don't have a fever or any diarrhea or vomiting, I just don't feel well. Does it sound like an illness or anxiety induced? Also, could post nasal drip be the cause of this if I am swallowing it while I am sleeping?
NoIt does not seem like any intense infection.Maybe viral, but mild.Sinus infection can also upset your digestive track.Please click a positive at the top of the post.Find me as needed.I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Lower abdominal cramps and other symptoms can be caused by acute diverticulitis as well.This is due to the inflammation of the colon lining pouches.You should see your doctor soon if the pain gets worse.Antibiotic course wil be required.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/