Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Doctor, I'm a male and 31 years old. I have had about

Customer Question

Hi doctor,
I'm a male and 31 years old.
I have had about 15 herpes blood tests for type 1 and type 2, also had a culture done inside my penis. Blood test for type 1 always came back positive (doctor says its oral herpes - I agree, I do get it maybe once a year), the other two tests are always negative.
Never had a single blister.
Two years ago I was treated and was on medication for sever anxiety due to this issue. The issue is when I get bit redness on penis and some wiered sensation/slight pain inside penis, I start to examn my genital region, excessive online reading which trigger my panic attacks and then the pain starts
To increase, now I have testicular pain, skin on penis head seems bit dry.
Two years ago I got myself in a really bad situation where I was going through this for 3-4 months. Ended in hospital and went on anxiety medication.
Two years later, week two, here I am again. WORRIED. Already seen my GP and planning to do some counselling and go on medication if required.
But my question is, what are the chances of having herpes 2 or 1 in genital region without blisters?
My GP doesn't won't to test me anymore, and I agree. The amount of testing I've done it's ridiculous.
But these physical symptoms can not be caused by anxiety.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. If you are asking what would be the chances in your case with multiple negative blood tests and a negative herpes culture, then the chance would be zero. If you are asking what would be the chances in someone presenting with these symptoms and before testing is done, the chances would still be small, but it would be possible. Having these symptoms without blisters is not the characteristic presentation of herpes, but a small percentage of people with herpes can have neurologic symptoms without blisters. In your case, with the amount of testing that you have had done, there is no need to consider repeat testing, unless there are subsequent sexual encounters that could be a new source of the virus. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you wold like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at