Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Dr. Love,About a week ago I woke up with a rash on my

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Love,About a week ago I woke up with a rash on my testicles and in the area between my testicles and anus. Since that time it has kind of come and gone, at times is itchy/burning and other times non-existent.I am concerned because I first noticed this rash the morning after receiving oral sex from a friend of mine. I asked another doctor and they said it looked like jock itch, not an STD. I have attached pictures from today, it looks a little red and raised but hasn't been too itchy.I am concerned because my girlfriend (not who I received oral sex from) became very sick yesterday with flu like symptoms (headache, fever, body aches, sore throat, etc.) However her rapid flu test came back negative. I am concerned that this rash is herpes from the oral sex and "dry humping" and that I passed it on to her. So, my questions are as follows.1)- Does this rash look like herpes? The first 3 pics (59,62 and 63) are from last week and the others (113, 114 and 116) are from today.
2)-I already have HSV-1 orally, so is it possible to contract it genitally as well.
3)-Could I contract HSV-2 genitally from oral sex
4)-Does this sickness with my girlfriend sound like an "initial outbreak" of herpes? She has not complained of anything itching or hurting in her genital region
5)- When a person becomes sick with flu like symptoms after initially being infected with herpes, do the flu like symptoms come before or during the outbreak of herpes? And, if before, how soon?Thank you so much for your help with this
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer. 1. This rash definitely does not have the characteristic appearance of herpes. I agree that it looks like a fungal infection (jock itch is the lay term for a fungal infection of the genital skin.2. No. Once you have oral HSV1, you cannot get it genitally.3. It is possible to get HSV2 from oral sex, but only from someone that has an HSV2 oral infection. It is impossible for a woman with a genital HSV2 infection to spread that infection to you if she gives you oral sex. If you give her oral sex, then it is possible that you could contract oral herpes.4. The sickness in your girlfriend sounds more like a generic viral infection. The systemic symptoms of an acute herpes infection can be similar, but it is statistically much more likely to be a generic viral infection.5. When systemic symptoms occur with a primary herpes infection, they are at the beginning of symptoms. They may precede the skin outbreak by a day or so, but are usually about the same time as the onset of the skin lesions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help, Dr Love and no worries about the delay.So, if my girlfriend became sick about 30 hours ago, it would be safe to assume she would probably have noticeable genital lesions by now if it were due to herpes?
Yes, she probably would have developed genital lesions by now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And the activity that I engaged in would be very low risk for acquiring herpes, correct? I also performed oral sex on my friend but don't have any oral lesions