Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 12 year old has had loose stools 2.5 weeks.

Customer Question

Hi. My 12 year old has had loose stools for about 2.5 weeks. Not everyday though... sometimes they are normal (He didn't tell me for the first 2 weeks). He did have one bout of mushy stools with some blood. I took him to the ER and they did blood work and said his white blood cells were slightly elevated by nothing to be concerned about. They told me to feed him the BRAT diet and follow up with his Pediatrician, which I did. He has had no fever or stomach pain or nausea. He said that his stomach just feels a little funny when he has the diarrhea but then feels better. He also has his appetite. His pediatrician told me that it could be anything from c diff to a virus. I brought the office a stool sample and I am waiting for the results. I am concerned with the possibility of it being C diff. He was on a course of Clindamycin for 10 days beginning on Feb. 25. I just read that c diff is likely after taking clindamycin. My concerns come from all the horrible things I've read about this bacteria and how hard it is to eradicate. If he does have c diff, will Flagyl take care or it or cause him more problems. Is there anything that he can take naturally that can help? I started giving him some Culturelle. Also, does c diff cause intermittent diarrhea? It is not watery all the time, is that a good sign it is not c diff? What is your advice on how to get rid of this bacteria? Also, I've read that if the stool sample is not watery that it is likely the test will show a false negative. Is that true?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Clindamycin can cause diarrhea as side effecy known as antibiotic associated diarrhea.THis is possible even without C diff infection.C diff causes stomach distension, watery voluminous continuous diarrhea.Your child will be much more sicker.Hence very unlikely.His symptoms will gradually improve with BRAT diet.Culturelle should be fine for now to restore normal intestinal flora balance.Yes, without watery stool , C diff test will not be very accurate.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But he was on the antibiotic the week of feb 25th. Would he start 3-4 weeks later with antibiotic associated diarrhea? Could c diff cause mile symptoms? Also, worst case scenario it is c diff, can he cure this completely?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is still possible after 3 weeks.C diff related symptoms worsen rapidly --not usually mild.In any case, mild C diff will clear up with probiotics alone.Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. At what point should I be concerned? Since it's on the 3 week of intermittent loose stools? Is there a particular kind of probiotic that works best? Can I give me a combination of different ones?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
If the diarrhea volume increases and his stomach become swollen along with fever ad lack of appetite should warrant further evaluation.Best wishes