Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been having intense stomach and abdominal pain as well

Customer Question

I have been having intense stomach and abdominal pain as well as nausea and acid reflex attacks in my stomach, throat, and esophagus for about two months now. So I finally got an appointment with a stomach/GI specialist awhile ago and she had me go in to the radiology department and performed a CT scan (with contrast) of my stomach. I was diagnosed with an INGUINAL hernia. As a note, no endoscopy was performed: only the CT scan of my stomach with contrast dye.
So, I have the following questions:
1. Should I plead for hernia surgery? The pain all over my ENTIRE abdomen, as well as cramping, etc, is extremely intense and non-stop.
2. Common sense question: should I quit my current occupation and move onto something else? I run a restaurant in a variety of capacities: waiting tables, answering phones, running around non-stop, etc, where I am constantly on my feet 8-12 hours per night 4-6 nights per week WITHOUT sitting or resting, in addition to the 2-mile walk (25 minutes) I have to get to transportation to get to work in the afternoon. Should I stop doing this work? Is all of this time running around and constantly on my feet negatively impacting this?
3. Could I possibly have other GI afflictions other than the INGUINAL hernia? As previously noted, I have very intense nausea and acid reflux attacks in my throat and am extremely sick to my stomach every morning when I wake up. The intense cramping pain is not just in the INGUINAL/pelvic area but all over my entire abdominal area. In the past few years, I have had esophagitis and gastritis (diagnosed from an endoscopy two years ago). Doctor prescribed pantaprozole (once in the morning) as well as Famotidine (once before bedtime). Should I continue with these medications indefinitely? As a side note, I do consume a healthy daily diet: a lot of fruits and vegetables (apples, celery with organic peanut butter, etc), fruit smoothies (banana, strawberry, blueberry, milk, etc), green juices every day (kale, broccoli, etc), etc.
As a side note, the reason I am contacting you is because said GI Doctor, like most other specialists I try getting a hold of, is EXTREMELY hard to get a hold of on the phone, so I am in limbo-land right now.
Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That does not explain nausea, acid reflux etc.CT scan will not show any inflammation of the stomach lining, or ulcer sometimes.Hence you will need endoscopy as well.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about the cramping and intense abdominal pain? Should I arrange surgery for the INGUINAL hernia?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Inguinal hernia can cause pain in lower abdomen.Where is your pain located?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Entire abdomen, particularly right side. Do I need surgery?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
In that case yes there is risk of incarcerated hernia.You should consult with a surgeon also.