Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

What kind of doctor can give a test fermentation s

Customer Question

what kind of doctor can give a test for gut fermentation syndrom?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Gut fermentation is caused by the excess bacterial overgrowth.This can be checked by D Xylose breath test.This is administered by a gastroenterologist.You will need to see a gastroenterologist.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloA xylose test measures small bowel absorption problems.I think you are referring to the following. known as auto brewery syndrome, and it is rare.AS you know, the bug involved actually produces alcohol, and this fact is a problem.You need a stool culture to identify the bug that causes this.Saccharomyces cerevisiae.Not a xylose test. That would not be useful. But rather:Any doctor can order the stool culture.If you have it, the treatment is diflucan and probiotics.Any doctor can prescribe this as well.I am a US board certified doctor.find me as needed.Please click a positive. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.